It was on May 24, 1900, when the first ever Society of Dentists was created in Tbilisi. Society then included up to 30 dentists and professors. V. Chichinadze, the first Georgian dentist was elected as the chairman of the Society. Thereafter, Society of Dentists first was transformed into the Society of Odontologists and then into Scientific Society of Dentists.
The following prominent scientists of Georgia, such as A. Urushadze, A. Ediberidze, A. Zimbelidze, L. Chelidze, N. Badzoshvili were the chairmen of the Scientific Society of Dentists of Georgia.
On the very first stages, sessions of the Society were held on practical treatment issues. Scientific Society of Dentists provided a kind of control on the performance of the private dental clinics and afterwards it participated in decision-making process on scientific, organizational and practical dental issues. In 1991, Society of Dentists stopped functioning.
In October of 1991, the first congress of the dentists of Georgia was held, chaired by the professor Omar Nemsadze and Georgian Dental and Oral Surgery Association, which still exists and actively serves the following issues: upgrading the knowledge of dentists and oral surgeons in Georgia, as well as dental service level in Georgia, introduction of the scientific-technical achievements, preparing of personnel and upgrading of qualification.
Parallel to the Georgian Dental and Oral Surgery Association, on July 1 of 1997, Georgian Dental Association was incorporated.
In 1998, Georgian Dental Association became the associated member of the World Dental Federation (FDI) in Barcelona, Spain, in 1999 it became the regular member in Mexico. Since 2001, it has been the regular member of the European Regional Organization (ERO) of World Dental Federation (FDI).
Association includes the organizational, scientific and educational, expert, international relations, regional relations committees. Today, Association includes more than 4000 members through Georgia and it has incorporated 7 regional organizations in the following regions of Georgia: Kakheti, Kvemo Kartli, Samtskhe-Javakheti, Imereti, Tbilisi, Samegrelo and Achara.
In 2014, Georgian Dental Technicians Society of the Georgian Dental Association was incorporated, headed by Dimitri Tomaradze. Permanent supervisory body of the association is the board, comprising of five members. Members are elected for 5 years period of time.
Until 2014, President of the Association was the professor Giorgi Menabde, vice-president, professor Ketevan Gogilashvili, general secretaries of the Association: Professor Vladimer Margvelashvili in international relations and professor Nino Vadachkoria – Science and Education.
In 2014, the board elected the new president – professor Ketevan Gogilashvili, as well as vice presidents: professor Sopio Samkharadze, assist. professor Zurab Alkhanishvili, professor Zurab Chichua. Professor Vladimer Margvelashvili is the general secretary and Liason Officer to FDI, while Nino Vadachkoria is the general secretary in science and Education field.
Representatives of the regional organizations of the Association:
Tengiz Lobzhanidze – Head of the Imereti Regional Organization
Gia Danelia – Head of the Samegrelo Regional Organization
Avtandil Beridze – Head of the Achara Regional Organization
Gvantsa Kurtsikashvili – Head of the Kakheti Regional Organization
Giorgi Kochiashvili – Head of the Kvemo Kartli Regional Organization
Artur Balasaniani – Head of the Samtskhe-Javakheti Regional Organization
It was on May 24, 1900, when the first ever Society of Dentists was created in Tbilisi. Society then included up to 30 dentists and... Read More